Saturday, July 19, 2014

Grandma Evans' Poems and Jingles

I was always told that these were advertisements on the side of streetcars in San Francisco. Must have been around the early 1900s.

This big policeman used to frown
as he marched grandly up and down
'til Quaker Oats brought into town
The smile that won't come off.

Little Johnny's gone to sea
He'll come back and marry me
And every day I'll feed my little man
This 10 cent can of Campbell's Condensed Soup

An old man said, "Let the blizzard blizz,
I'm not afraid that I'll get frizz
Because Quaker Oats brings to my fizz
The smile that won't come off.


Another poem she would recite for me was:

I know what I'll do
when Santa comes a' knockin'
I'll squeeze up a little and hide
behind my stockin'
And when he opens his bundle
I'll say "BOO" just for fun.
And maybe he'll drop his bundle and run.
Oooh! Wouldn't that be fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment